It’s exciting isn’t it; packing your bags and heading off to the airport for that much needed holiday? Here at Pousadas of Portugal we understand how important it is for you to experience the Portuguese culture. To help you, we also of one or two things that will help you prepare for your holiday abroad namely, how to overcome that language barrier.
Step One- Research Your Destination
First and foremost it can be very helpful to see how many variations of Portuguese are spoken. In Portugal alone there are ten variations of Portuguese:
- Transmontano- spoken in the Tras-os-Montes-e-Alto-Douro
- Madeirense- spoken in Madeira
- Baioxo-Beirao -spoken in Central Portuguese regions of hinterland
- Beirao -spoken in the Central Portuguese regions
- Nortenho -spoken in the regions of Porto, parts of Aveiro and Braga
- Micaelense – spoken in the Azores
- Algarvio- spoken in Argarve
- Alto-Minhoto- spoken North of Braga
- Alentejano- spoken in Alentejo
- Estremenho- spoken in the regions of Lisbon, Coimbra and Leiria
We understand that your holiday is meant to be relaxing. There’s no need to hit the books weeks before your flight to learn all ten, simply knowing the basics of Portuguese can greatly help you when on your holiday however.
Step Two- Practice The Language
Wherever you may be staying, a knowledge of basic Portuguese can help you converse with the locals. You can easily find self help guide books and recordings to help you with this. Certain words remember however are;
Hello – Ola
Goodbye – Adeus
Please – Por Favor
Thank you- Obrigado
Excuse me – Desculpe-me
Step 3- Practice Makes Perfect
Perfect practice makes perfect. Learning a different language on your own can only get you so far, the next step is to try and speak to somebody who understands the language. You will find that people are very patient and understanding when you’re trying to speak a foreign language, so don’t worry if you make a mistake.
Carry around an English-Portuguese hand book in case you need a little extra help. After all, your holiday should be a time when you can relax and enjoy yourself, there’s no need to get upset if you find it difficult to communicate with other people.
For more information on what mesmerising Pousadas accommodations we have for you to enjoy, contact us today on 0871 218 1751.